How to Teach Kids to Type
Published on July 8th, 2012 | by Frances Kerfoot
If you are trying to find some websites for kids to learn how to type, you are in luck. There are A LOT of typing websites and software around for typing practice that offer fun games and lessons that will have your kids typing in no time. Here are our top picks:
Best Free Typing Websites for Kids
- Dancemat is probably the best free site to start with for small children who want to learn to type. The site is run by the BBC and uses animation and games to introduce touch typing to children aged 7 to 11. The character voices can get a bit annoying for an adult, but it’s a fun free site that will keep your kids engaged.
- E-Learning for Kids offers a fairly elaborate online typing course for kids that has pretty cool graphics and a whole storyline having to do with an alien and a space ship.
- Typing Class is easy and simple to follow. It doesn’t have the fun animation that some of the other sites offer, but the lessons are good and the site shows you your speed and your accuracy.
- Typing Club is a free touch typing tutorial site that is very well done, and easy to use.
Best Typing Games for Kids
There is no shortage of typing games for kids. Here are just a few games to check out for the beginning typist.
- Super Hyper Spider Typer -this game from fun Funschool has lizards with words on their backs that are after Berry the hairy spider. The point of the game is to save Berry from the lizards by typing words quickly as they appear on their backs and to stop the spider from getting eaten. If you type in the letters or words you see on the lizard’s backs as soon as they appear on the screen it clears them away. Some words are harder than others so you have to type really fast to win. Each round ends when the spider reaches the top of the tree.
- Typing for Tots is a simple game that shows a short sentence and then lets your child type the letters and words from the sentence into your computer. It marks the letter the child is supposed to type in green.
- Key Board Game at Big Brown Bear is a keyboard review game. It basically shows a giant keyboard and you are supposed to press the key shown in red to score a point. If you press the wrong one you’ll lose a point- it’s pretty simple and a good review of the keyboard.
- Games from Free Typing Games if you can deal with all the ads this site has some good games they are a bit more advanced so if you kids are just starting out don’t go to this site first.
Best Typing Software for Kids
If you are looking for a more intense program to teach your kids how to type there are a few different options available, some of the ones we looked at are Jump Start Typing, Mavis Beacon Keyboarding Kidz Typing, Ultra Key, Typing Quick and Easy and Typing Instruction for Kids Platinum. If we were going to be buying a software package we would choose Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum.
Typing Instructor for Kids is reasonably priced, gets pretty good reviews overall and was also the #1 best-selling typing program specifically designed for kids. You can also get this program as an App.
- The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service dollar sales (2006-February 2011).