If you would like to teach your children how to speak Hindi, we have found lots of wonderful DVDs, apps, books, toys, worksheets, and much more that you can use to help your kids learn Hindi at home.
As you may or may not know, Hindi is a form of Hindustani. It is an official language of India, and the most common language spoken in most of Northern India, although obviously it is also spoken in many other parts of the world. There are varying opinions on how hard it is to learn Hindi, so start when your kids are young and expose them to as much Hindi as you can and they will pick it up quickly.
The Best DVDs to Teach Kids Hindi
DVDs are an easy way to begin to introduce your kids to a new language. Here are some great DVDs that cover basic Hindi for kids:
- Hindi for Kids DVD Set: Simple Words & Number and Colours (ages 3+) +) is a 2 DVD collection that teaches Hindi in a fun and interactive way. Both ‘Simple Words’ and ‘Numbers and Colours’ use colorful animation, as well as songs, stories, and games to encourage and motivate children to learn. It is similar to the Baby Einstein videos.
- Exploring Hindi – Kids Learn Hindi is another DVD that is along the same lines as Baby Einstein. Exploring Hindi introduces the basic vocabulary and sounds of Hindi through children, everyday objects, colors, and numbers.
- Kids Learn Hindi with Bollywood Baby mixes dancing, colors, music, and introduces the native Indian language of Hindi with a Bollywood Theme.
- Hindi Kids helps teach kids’ shapes, numbers, colors, directions, taste, common words associated with food and sports in Hindi.
The Best Hindi Language Learning Programs and Websites for Kids
- Learning Hindi for Children DVD Set (5 DVDs)(ages 2-7) is a Hindi language learning set where cartoon dinosaur characters introduce the most common 200 words and phrases in Hindi. The Hindi learning DVD set includes 5 DVDs and 150 Hindi flash cards.
- Hindi By Reena is a website dedicated to teaching kids Hindi. They have free worksheets and materials, as well as online courses, blog posts, and fun lists to help parents teach their children Hindi.
- Akhlesh’s Homepage of Preschool Hindi is a wonderful resource for parents to help teach their kids Hindi. Topics include the alphabet, writing, pronunciation, grammar, poems, songs, etc.
- Cheeni for Tots has lots of really good resources for parents who are teaching their kids Hindi at home.
- Hindi Gym has free resources like ready-to-print materials to teach Hindi along with the products that they sell.
- Galli Galli Sim Sim is a Hindi version of Sesame Street. It has games, videos, and rhymes
- Indif is another great site that offers simple lessons on basic Hindi including the alphabet, nursery rhymes, learning charts, numbers, and coloring sheets.
Free Online Games to Help Teach Hindi
Since kids love playing online games, we have included a few free educational games that can be helpful for kids who are learning Hindi
- Duolingo is one of the best places to teach almost any language to kids online
- Digital Dialects is a free site that has lots of online games to learn Hindi grammar, vocabulary, numbers, and the alphabet.
- Matrubhasha offers a couple of online games that cover beginning sounds and colors.
Best Hindi Apps for Kids
Another easy way to introduce a new language to kids is through apps. Here are some of the top reviewed apps that cover everything from the Hindi alphabet, Matra, to swar/vyanjan.
- Hindi Kids Writing helps kids learn to trace on Hindi swar, Matra, vayanjan, words, akshar gyan. This App has three modes: Writing Practice, Listening Practice, and Exercise. Writing Practice lets you study each letter at a time, Listening Practice gives you for each (audible) letter its pronunciation, Exercise gives you a word which you are to write.
- The Kids school (Hindi) has categories like directions, birds, days and months, and animals. There are over a hundred words to teach your kids.
- Trace Hindi Alphabets Kids Activity helps kids write Hindi and English letters. You can trace any letter in Vowels (Swar), Consonants (Vyanjan) in Hindi alphabet and Upper, lowercase letters in the English alphabet.
- Kids Hindi Words has over 400 Hindi Flashcards containing commonly used Hindi words (colors, numbers, food drink, and animals, etc.)
Hindi Learning Books for Kids
- Bindi Baby Animals (Hindi): A Beginner Language Book for Hindi Kids (Hindi Edition) is a generally well-reviewed book for babies, toddlers and beginning readers to begin to learn animal names in Hindi. This book has English transliteration of the Hindi text included to help with pronunciation as well as a Hindi alphabet chart.
- Hindi Children’s Picture Dictionary: English-Hindi/Hindi-English for children ages 5 to 10 years has 625 total entries and 500 color illustrations. It allows a child to make the connection between a picture and a word. The entries consist of the word in English; it’s Hindi equivalent and easy-to-use phonetic pronunciation. All Hindi words are presented in the original Devanagari script.
- Hindi Children’s Book Level 1 Easy Reader Aamoo The Mango (Hindi Edition) This book is a level 1 Hindi reader. Level 1 books help in developing Hindi vocabulary and pronunciation skills for children who have some familiarity with the Hindi script. It has nine stories, each consisting of simple repetitive sentences with a simple storyline.
- Appu Series had lots of classic fairy tales in Hindi.
If you have come across any products or learning tools that you have found useful in teaching your own kids Hindi, please let us know by leaving a comment. We would love to share it with other parents.